Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Month 6: "Negotiation and Deal-Making"

            In the sixth month, I begin taking the course “Negotiation and Deal-Making.” The course description includes acquiring strong negotiation and deal-making skills that are needed to establish a strong business presence and develop solid partnerships with other individuals and companies. This course was one that I favored highly because negotiation is one of my strongest tactics. I feel that negotiation is not about changing someone’s mind, but instead a way for individuals to end on the same page. The assignments that were offered in the course included various scenarios that were not only entertaining, but conducive to learning strong skills associated with the course. One assignment dealt with a reporter interviewing an athlete in regards to being able to film her daily activities in exchange for profit. The instructions were to determine the best ways in which each side could have handled the negotiation more effectively. Completing this assignment helped me to access any problems I had with my negotiation skills and to also enhance the successful ones that I already attained. One term that I learned was BATNA, which means best alternative to a negotiated agreement. BATNA is extremely important in developing successfully, resilient negotiating and deal-making skills when the first option does not go as planned. The course taught me to always stay ahead by thinking in advance, in which I apply to everyday decisions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment